Position Title: Bike Mechanic
Reporting To: Bike Workshop HOD, Floor Manager, General Manager
Purpose: To enhance people’s lifestyle by sharing our passion and expertise.
Mission: Motivate and enable people to have the best experience in the outdoors.
- The principal responsibility of the Bike Mechanic is to provide exceptional customer service by ensuring the repair and building of bikes to industry safety standards, leading by example and contributing to the performance and profitability of the shop through a positive attitude and in-depth product knowledge.
- Ensuring all rental bikes and accessories are maintained in excellent condition and therefore available to the customer at all times.
|Repairs||Perform the repair of bikes to a consistently high standard||• You are responsible for the timely repair of all customer bikes to the highest standard, ensuring that the booking system is followed and all jobs are completed by their booked in “due date”
• You are responsible for the timely repair of our rental bike fleet to enable as many bikes as possible to be available to the customer at all times
• You will clean bikes as required and test ride all repaired bikes
• You will be required to inform customers of any additional problems you find while working on their bike and record your advice on their notes in the computer system
• You will ensure tools and machinery are handled safely and competently at all times.
|Bike Builds||Execute bike builds to industry standards||• When directed, you will build bikes in order to meet customer demand
• You will ensure that all bikes are built according to guidelines provided by Racers Edge Powered by Torpedo7 and that all legislative requirements are met
• You will ensure that all bikes built are safety checked by a different individual than the person who built the bike and that bike check stickers are secured to bikes built and that these are signed off
|Customer Service||• Have a thorough knowledge of all our outdoor products and be responsible for providing and ensuring outstanding customer service at all times to all customers
• Master the selling process – understand the steps and consumer behaviour throughout
• Completion of all assigned training modules to ensure compliance with the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and Fair Trading Act 1986You are required to have a thorough knowledge of our bike products and are responsible for providing and ensuring outstanding customer service at all times to all customers
|Repairs||• You will undertake the repair of customer and shop rental bikes in a timely fashion and to the highest standard.
• You are expected to communicate the following to every customer: when the bike will be ready for pick up; the repairs required; estimated cost where possible.
• You will clean bikes as required and test ride all bikes repaired.
• You will be required to inform customers of any additional problems you find while working on their bike and record your advice on their notes in the computer system.
|Warranties, 2- and 6-week checks||• You will undertake all 2- and 6-week checks ensuring they are all recorded in the POS system|
|Bike Builds||• You will be required to meet with the Bike Workshop HOD and/or Bike Retail HOD and assist in identifying what bikes need to be built in order to meet customer demands.
• Ensure that all bikes are built according to the guidelines provided by Torpedo7 and that all legislative requirements are met.
• Ensure all bike builds are safety checked by a different person to that who built the bike and that bike check stickers are secured to bikes built and these are signed off.
|Productivity||• Review with the Bike Workshop HOD the monthly bike productivity reports and ensure that productivity is maximised to ensure a profitable department.|
|TPOS||• You will be confident using computer systems as you will be trained in the use of our point-of-sale system
• You will enter all bike builds into the POS system to allow for productivity to be recorded.
|Communicate effectively with all staff and customers||• Actively participate in all shop meetings as required.
• Ensure relevant information is communicated to the next shift appropriately.
• Talk directly to your manager regarding new ideas and any issues which require attention
|Health & Safety||• Ensure you have access to The Warehouse Group Health & Safety Incident reporting portal, Safety Hub.
• Any health, safety, hazards, security issues or accidents are reported through the appropriate channels.
• Be fully conversant with and follow Company and department health & safety procedures, policies and directives.
• Ensure a high standard of personal and workplace hygiene is maintained.
• Ensure all areas of the shop are kept clean and tidy and in particular, ensure that all work areas are clean and workable at all times.
• Ensure all tools can be accounted for at the beginning and end of your shift.
|Security||• You will ensure shop security procedures are followed at all times, including staff purchasing procedures
• Shop lifting is occurring all the time and we encourage your vigilance in identifying occurrences, particularly around change rooms and ensuring cabinets are relocked after assisting your customer.
• Ensure that you position yourself, even when talking to other customers, in a way so you can keep an eye on the store
|Policies and Procedures allow for the efficient and effective operations||• To adhere to Racers Edge Powered by Torpedo7 values, policies and procedures at all times
• To be flexible and undertake other duties which may be required to effectively run the business.
Person Specification: Bike Mechanic
|• Current Drivers License||• Outdoor/Snow/Bike industry training and qualification or tertiary Qualification|
|Work Experience||• At least one season’s experience in a role that proves a thorough knowledge and passion for the outdoors and first-hand understanding of apparel and gear requirements for relevant activities in a variety of environments |
• At least one season’s commercial bike mechanic experience
• Sound knowledge and practical experience of sales techniques and strategies
• An in depth understanding of the NZ bike industry
|• >1 season outdoor retail experience
• Thorough knowledge of the area and environs
|Interpersonal Skills||• Uses judgment, objectivity and discretion to accurately assess situations and take appropriate action, maintaining confidentiality where necessary |
• Consistently portrays a positive impression and achieves desired outcomes by optimizing communication orally and in writing with a wide range of people
• Prioritizes tasks to meet deadlines to agreed standards whilst being flexible and adapting to changing demands
• Autonomously identifies needs and proactively works towards an effective solution gaining cooperation from others as required
• Remains calm, productive and focused in pressured situations achieving desired outcomes and maintaining positive relationships
• Applies effective systems and checklists to ensure details are not overlooked
• Works autonomously within a team ensuring all tasks are completed on time and accurately
|Technical Skills||• Proficient with computer systems so that you can be trained in our point-of-sale software system to a proficient level.|
• You will also be a competent cash handler and competent processing payments with eftpos machines etc.
• Self-sufficient with typing requirements, internet communications and excel.
|• Another language
• Already competent user of ‘TPOS’